Some Natural Methods for Preventing Termite Infestations
Termites are one of the major pests attacking homes and offices in Northern Beaches, and there are several common chemical means to exterminate these detrimental nightmares. However, application of pesticides have caused several health hazards to the people living or working in the place in Northern Beaches. So, use of non-toxic methods of controlling and preventing termite infestations have been considered as more effective.
Given below are a few of the natural means for chasing away the wood borers:
- Termites usually need a moist environment for survival and eliminating the sources of moisture will undoubtedly keep them away.
- Get rid of heavy vegetation growth around your domestic or commercial premise for they can create regions of extreme moisture as well.
- Do not store additional building materials or firewood close to your house or office. If the property is not big enough to provide a storage for wood away from your dwelling place, build barriers underneath the wood so that termites don’t have direct access.
- Try to use rubber mulches. They can be found at any local gardening accessories selling centre. Organic mulches can actually attract termites.
- Do not allow water to stand around the premises and get rid of any pooling water without any delay.
- Seal up all the cracks, holes and crevices inside the foundation using caulking agents such as silicone, polyurethane, polysulfide or acrylic sealant.
- Get rid of old trees, dead stumps or roots from the backyard or lawn. The decay of these items provide a good source of food for termites.
- Do not ever bury wood scraps or waste lumber in the yard.
- Ensure proper ventilation within your house or office to prevent unnecessary moisture buildup. Regular cleaning of waterlines and gutters around the premise is also essential
Besides exercising these preventive measures, get an annual termite inspection in Northern Beaches done by some reputed pest control company such as R.I.P. Pest Management. If at all any infestation starts taking place, our staffs will detect it and take suitable steps before it gets too late.