Handy Tips For Home Owners
Follow these simple tips to reduce the risk of a pest infestation in your home or office:
- Don’t store timber or heavy items against exterior walls. Ensure the exterior wall is visible so termite and pest entry points are seen.
- Throw out all shopping bags and boxes (including pizza boxes) ASAP. These often contain hidden cockroach eggs, which can enter your home.
- If your home has a suspended concrete slab (i.e. under a bathroom), ensure forming timbers are removed, to discourage termite entry.
- If you have insulation batts in your roof, keep them off top plates. This is the first entry point for termites, so keep top plates visible.
- Keep exterior walls free of vegetation, so termites, rats, spiders, ants and possums cannot enter your home.
- Regularly check your shower for leaks and seal the shower to prevent water getting into the subfloor. This will prevent termites from entering your home.
- Ensure pets do not explore under the house, as the area is a flea haven.
- If your hot water tank leans against an exterior wall, check for leaks and ensure the overflow pipe is drained away from your wall to prevent termite entry.
CTA: Simply following these friendly tips could save you thousands. If you need a pest inspection or treatment, please contact R.I.P. today.
Can Funnel Web Spiders Live in Swimming Pools?
Yes. Funnel Webs have air pockets, allowing them to remain alive in a swimming pool for several hours. If you see one on the surface or pool floor, don’t pick it up. Instead, carefully scoop it out.
Are Ticks Only Dangerous to Pets?
Tick toxins can make people very ill, and carry several diseases. To prevent contact with ticks, take precautions when outside.
What’s the Difference Between White Ants and Termites?
Only the spelling. Termites are often called White Ants due to their colour. However, they aren’t ants at all. The correct term is Termites.
Why are Trees a Termite Risk?
Termite colonies often live in trees or stumps. The more trees around your home, the higher your risk of a termite attack.
If there are large trees only 5-10 metres from your home, there’s a chance a termite colony may live inside. When that colony grows large enough, they’ll travel to find a food source and your home may be it.
Let us test your trees or stumps for termites to avoid possible damage and save thousands in repairs and treatment.
Does a Wasp Sting Hurt?
It certainly does. Wasp stings are similar to bee stings however, they can sting you more than once. If you have wasps, call R.I.P. to treat them and remove the nests.
Where’s the Strangest Place You’ve Found Termites?
We located termites on a boat (which had its own jetty) in Pittwater. This boat had absolutely no ground contact. Termites had flown onto the boat and set up a nest in the cabin’s wall panel.
Activity was visible and treatable in the motor section. I used my non-repellent termiticide to eliminate the nest at the other end of the boat. This bizarre situation proved you can find termites anywhere conditions suit.
How Far Will Termites Travel?
A large termite colony may have between 3-4 million pests and the potential to travel 100 metres or more to a food source. So, the termites in your home may have travelled a distance to be there.
As a rule, the bigger the colony and the hotter the temperature, the further they can travel.
Why Do My Carpet Edges Look Terrible?
The carpet beetle (oval in appearance) can eat various fabrics, including carpets. Our team can correctly identify and treat your Carpet Beetle problem.
When My Kids Play Outside, They Get Covered with Ticks. Should I Worry?
You should be very worried. Ticks are very dangerous and the more toxin your children are injected with, the higher the risk of health problems. Keep your yard free of ticks. However, the R.I.P. team can control any tick infestation you come across.